02 May 2009

Dinner in a bowl


And so we arrive at Saturday night. Jeff is out of town, so I can make whatever I want. I mean, we don't generally have too many disagreements about what we like to eat, or not eat, but Jeff doesn't seem to appreciate the finer points of one of my most favorite things: soy chicken, aka dinner in a bowl. Much like Italian sausage sauce, soy chicken is one of those things that I've grown up eating, that I eat now as an adult, and that I intend to eat until I can no longer actually eat. Growing up, it was the one thing that I wanted to eat for my birthday, and, year after year, my mother graciously complied. It also helps that my parents like it, too.

When I went to college, it was one of the few recipes stashed in my back pocket. Even my roommates liked it. I know of at least one of them who makes it for dinner, every now and then, too. There may be more, but they're not telling.

So it makes me a little sad that Jeff doesn't like it. But it does make his solo trips so much more bearable. Besides, sometimes a little alone time is good. Especially when it involves soy chicken. So for tonight, we have Garrison Keillor on the radio, rice in the rice cooker, and dinner on the way. Not so bad at all.

Soy Chicken

1 largeish chicken breast, or thighs, or whatever you like
1/2 cup good quality soy sauce (I only use San-J low-sodium Tamari, I think it tastes the best)
1/2 cup water
1 or 2 star anise(s)
1 medium-sized nob ginger, sliced thin

1. Wash the chicken off and place in a medium-sized pot. Add soy sauce and water, star anise and ginger. Bring to a boil, lower heat to low, cover, and simmer for an hour, turning chicken over at about 30 minutes.

Serve with rice, silken tofu, and steamed broccoli for the most authentic Mei kind of experience.

No comments: