03 April 2009

Shark's Fin and Sichuan Pepper



When is the last time you read something that made you really, really hungry? I mean, I love my cooking magazines, food memoirs, and cookbooks, and I usually have a few open at any given moment, but nothing has ever made me this ravenous.

Fuchsia Dunlop recounts her years living in China, starting out in the city of Chengdu, where time is slow and the food is laced with Sichuan pepper. (By the way, I love Sichuan pepper, since it makes your mouth all tingly and a little numb and has a good heat, to boot.) Her descriptions of food and the people that she meets are beautiful and evocative. Also, there is a recipe for Dan Dan Noodles that is so mouth-watering that I am willing to bring the fringes of Chinatown to find ingredients. Now, about brushing up on my Chinese...

No comments: