23 April 2009

Not normal days

Is it crazy to seriously consider mail ordering $60 worth of cheese? I would normally say YES, but these are not normal days. In fact, I am in a serious state of denial. Instead of going on a run, I am sitting inside snuggling in my sleeping bag and reading magazines and eating Red Hawk cheese, which might be one of the most intense, pleasurable cheeses I have ever had. I feel like I'm hiding out, being sneaky. Except for the fact that I'm in my late 20s (when did that happen??) and can do pretty much whatever and no one cares. Except for the exercise enjoyer in me. Sorry, exercise enjoyer.


(This is not my photo. Thanks, internet!)

It's a kind of triple crème, nice and smooth and rich, but at the same time it's full and musty and just absolutely beautiful, with a washed rind. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

While we're talking about THINGS I LIKE, can I also say how much I love this book:

It is completely engaging and charming and lovely. The introduction roughly explains that there has been a growing "unification" of regional cultures into one mass American culture (via the Internet, TV, large chain stores, etc.), but at the same time, when people meet each other, they often ask, "Where are you from?", and that states have strong identities of their own. It's been sitting on my night stand for two months--I finally broke down and bought myself a copy. I figured that after having renewed the book twice from the library and with no forseeeable end in sight, it would be better to not have to worry about it.

No comments: