13 November 2008

Wishes


DSCF1667
Originally uploaded by meizilla
I have a few wishes for today.

Wish #1: That I had a very large glass of red wine in my hand.
Wish #2: That it were the weekend already. I know I can't really complain, but that's the breaks.
Wish #3: That there were a large bowl of pasta carbonara in front of me (to go with the wine, of course).

I LOVE pasta carbonara. How could I not? It has everything that I love in it: cream, bacon, and green vegetables. (Don't give me that undeserved groan! Look at those peas! They ARE green, and don't you think you can guilt me into discounting them. Because you can't.)
Pasta carbonara is definitely the sleeping bag of pastas: cozy, tasty, and comforting.

Especially if you have a big glass of wine to accompany it. I promise.


Pasta Carbonara, adapted from Food and Wine

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 large garlic cloves, smashed
about four slices bacon, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
3/4 cups heavy cream or whole milk
3 large egg yolks
1/3 freshly grated Parmesean cheese, plus more for serving
salt
1 cup fresh or thawed frozen baby peas
3/4 pound spaghetti
freshly ground pepper

1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. In a large, deep skillet, heat the oil. Add the garlic and cook over moderate heat until golden, about 2 minutes. (Try not to let your garlic brown. It will turn bitter, and the oil will, too.) Discard the garlic. Add the bacon to the skillet and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until golden and crisp and the fat has been rendered, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a bowl.
2. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the fat from the skillet, and make sure your heat is off. Add the cream and scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the skillet, then pour into a medium bowl. Whisk in the egg yolks and 1/3 cup cheese.
3. Add salt to the pot of boiling water. Add the peas and cook just until tender, about 1 minute. Using a slotted spoon; transfer the cooked peas to a bowl.
4. Add the spaghetti to the boiling water and cook until al dente; drain. Return the pasta to the pot and add the cream mixture, bacon, and peas. Season with salt and pepper and toss until the sauce coats the spaghetti. Transfer to bowls and serve immediately with the remaining Parmesean.

1 comment:

Linda said...

That looks so totally awesome...I know what I'm making for dinner! Thanks Mei ;)