21 November 2008

Hash browns, redux

Yesterday, I made a new recipe: oven baked hash browns. As I'm sure you remember, hash browns are one of my favorite things to eat.

But... not to put too fine a point on it, I discovered last night that I adore pan-fried hash browns. Part of the problem was that the oven baked ones came out gray, undercooked, and underdelicious. (I mean, seriously? Grey? Grey potatoes = gross.) This leads me to believe that either I did not properly follow directions (quite possible, who's kidding who around here?) or that only pan-frying can produce the sort of fluffy goodness and golden crust that hash browns necessitate.

So if you're in the market for a low-oil potato hash brown experience, I advise you to look elsewhere than in the most current issue of Bon App├ętit. And do let me know if you find something.

1 comment:

rachel said...

Let's face it: just about everything is better pan fried.