11 August 2008

CSA.3 et alia



I know. It's been, um, nearly FOUR WEEKS since my last CSA update. Sorry. Things got a little busy? Like I went to Chicago to see my parents and then I didn't take any pictures of Chicago OR Madison even though I had brought both my camera and the uploading cord, which is the crucial piece that I nearly always forget? But I have so many things to share! Like the beautiful things that did come in my CSA, nearly two weeks ago:



See? Aren't they beautiful? We got peaches, apricots, and sugar plums. Sugar plums! They are the little golden beauties hanging out at the top. Have you ever even heard of sugar plums? I had only in that Christmas poem. I probably won't have sugar plums dancing in my head come Christams, but, well, for someone who is lately obsessed with goat tacos with plenty of tomatillo salsa and fried dumplings (not together, of course), that's no surprise.

(Also, I didn't make anything tasty with them. We ate them right out of the bowl. And they were delicious.)



As for the rest of those blueberries from the previous CSA, I got so frustrated by neither Jeff nor I actually eating the them that I decided to make muffins. Normally, I'm not a huge blueberry muffin fan (well, I do like them, but only certain ones, as so many blueberry muffins just don't cut it), but I do like cornbread blueberry muffins. They are light and buttery and sunny-tasting and blueberryriffic. I think you'll like them too.



Featherlight Corn and Blueberry Muffins, adapted from butter sugar flour eggs

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1/4 sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1/4 cup milk
8 tablespoons butter, melted
a large handful of blueberries (or more, to taste)

1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 8 muffin cups with paper liners.
2. Sift the dry ingredients together
3. Whisk the eggs and milk together in a large bowl. Add a third of the dry ingredients to the egg mixture, then a third of the melted butter, and stir gently just until incorporated. Repeat with the remaining dry ingredients and melted butter, being careful not to overmix; there may be a little flour not mixed in at the end. That's fine. Gently fold in your blueberries.
4. Use a large spoon or two to fill the muffin cups half full. Bake until risen, light golden brown, and firm to the touch, about 15 minutes.

No comments: